Bulgur Salad with Grapes, Cucumber, Orange and Mint


Grapes are not my favorite fruit. I don't dislike them to the point that I would pick them out of a fruit salad and, sure, I've been known to pop a few into my mouth from the party buffet...but I wouldn't think to sit down to a handful of them on a plate. So when a bunch of them ended up in my fridge, I had to think of a way to avoid watching them go bad.
Since my lease is up soon, I've been tackling the heaps of dry goods that I've been collecting in the cupboard over the past three years. The bag of bulgur wheat---requiring no cooking--seemed the perfect pick to use up on a hot summer day. I've recently discovered bulgur does a lot more than make limp, oily salad-bar tabbouleh. It makes a healthy, chewy and quick cold salad and I could toss in all the odds and ends of fruits, vegetables and herbs that were otherwise threatening to die a lonely death in the fridge. Those cold grapes seemed like a refreshing pair with cool cucumbers and cool mint---their sweetness tempered by the salad.

  • 1 C of bulgur (no.2) soaked in 2 C of boiling water for at least 30 minutes, drained
  • small bunch of green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 C chopped Italian parsley
  • 1/3 C chopped fresh mint
  • 3 small Persian cucumbers, peeled and chopped
  • couple handful of seedless grapes, halved
  • juice and zest of one lemon and one orange
  • few spoons of olive oil
  • 1 tsp coriander (or to taste--I like quite a bit more)
  • 1/2 tsp allspice (or to taste)
  • salt and pepper
Toss the first six ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the juice, zest, oil, and spices. Mix into the salad, season with salt and pepper. Let rest for a half hour for the dressing to soak in and serve chilled.



1 comment: