Whole Grain Mustard

My roommate brought home a delicious jar of fancy mustard from a local restaurant.  I was putting it on everything and eating straight off the spoon. As I read through the ingredients on the label--mustard seeds, some kind of booze, and some kind of vinegar-- I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to make my own and for much less than the $10 stores charge.  I also liked the idea of switching up the liquid ingredients to compliment a cuisine--the same way you would pair a wine with a meal.

Every now and again I'll have the opportunity to remember that I really like Blue Moon beer.  I wanted to make a mustard that matched. Blue Moon is brewed with coriander and orange peel so I let those be the key flavors in my mustard.  After doing a little reading, I found that mustard recipes are pretty flexible as long as you make sure to let the mustard seeds sit  submerged in the liquid you are using in a non-reactive container  for 48 hours...and then let the finished mustard sit in the fridge for several days to mellow out before eating it.

Most recipes are a variation on this:

3/4 mustard seeds (usually 1/4 yellow and 1/2 brown)
1.5 C alcohol and vinegar (usually 1/2 C wine or sherry and 1 C red/white wine vinegar...or 1 C of beer and 1/2 C vinegar)
2 T sugar
≥1 T spices/peppercorns
maybe some oil or mustard flour (which will increase the heat!!)

This is what I did:
1/4 C yellow mustard seeds
1/2 C brown mustard seeds
1 C beer (this leaves about 4 oz to drink!)
1/2 C white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
2 T honey
1.5 T whole coriander seeds
the peel of 1/3 orange, pith removed and cut into fine strips

Soak the mustard seeds in the beer and vinegar in a non-reactive container (glass, ceramic, tupperware) for two whole days.  Top it off if too much liquid evaporates.

Then add the other ingredients, put it all in a food processor and blend until it's creamy.  I like to see some whole seeds, so I don't totally puree it.

Then put it in jars, put it in the fridge and wait.  The first time I made mustard, despite the warnings, I couldn't resist the temptation to taste early.  It was a mistake.  The mustard seeds really need the time to hang out to lose their unpleasant pungency.  Just wait a few days.  I've found that the mustard continues to improve after sitting for over a week.

After you wait, then you can eat it (with beer) on bread with cheese, on meat, in a dressing...it is also very good mixed with melted butter and poured on steamed broccoli!
I think for my next batch I'll experiment with sake as my base.....

1 comment: