Graham Crackers



Summer is winding down. Kids in brand new backpacks are biking to school on wobbly bikes.  But here we are about to see the warmest part of the year.  I wanted to make one more summer-y snack on here in this last little spurt of freedom. It will happen in three parts.

I. Before this year I only really ate graham crackers if I was at camp and it was snack time or if there was a square left over when I was making a pie crust.  Embarrassingly, now I keep little packets of them in my pockets to stave off low blood sugar emergencies on long days.  While it's usually too late by the time I make it to a quiet corner to pop one in my mouth, I've learned how wonderful they are to scoop up cheap peanut butter, drizzled with honey from a packet, or dipped in instant coffee, tea, milk, or even orange juice.

Homemade ones are of course infinitely better than the ones I carry (which could be confused with the Saltines packs that come with your soup).  I combined a bunch of recipes to get this.  I wanted to make some with the "wholesome taste" of whole grains and molasses. The whole-wheat, bran, and germ combination should resemble the taste of graham flour.  If you like, you could substitute graham flour for the combo. You can find graham flour at some specialty stores or online and if you live in SF, you can buy graham flour in bulk at Rainbow.


Graham Crackers

  • 1 C whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 C wheat bran
  • 2 T wheat germ
  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 7 T butter, cut into small pieces and very cold
  • 4-5 T whole milk
  • 3 T honey
  • 2 T molasses
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Mix the flours, bran, germ, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a food processor. Add the cold chunks of butter and pulse until the mixture looks like crumbs.  Then mix in the rest of the ingredients.  Gather the dough into a ball and divide into 3 or 4 pieces.  Roll each piece to 1/8" between two sheets of lightly floured parchment paper. Stack and chill the sheets for an hour or so.  Then either use a floured pizza wheel or knife to cut the dough into squares.  Or you can cut into shapes using a floured cookie cutter.  Poke gently with a fork. If you want, you can sprinkle the tops with cinnamon-sugar. Leave the cookies on the parchment and freeze for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350 °F.  Then bake on the parchment lined cookie sheet for 15-25 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment